In recent weeks, two individuals have died in Australia after eating smoked salmon fillets. Both people contracted a bacteria known as listeria and both died as a result. This is an unfortunate but not rare occurrence – in the United States, there are typically 18 to 24 cases of listeriosis reported each year, with the majority of those cases being fatal.
What is salmon poisoning?
Salmon poisoning is a rare but serious bacterial infection that results from eating raw or undercooked salmon. The bacteria that causes salmon poisoning is found in the wild and can survive on seafood, such as salmon. The bacteria can cause severe abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. In extreme cases, salmon poisoning can lead to death.
What are the symptoms of salmon poisoning?
Symptoms of salmon poisoning typically include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting. In severe cases, salmon poisoning can lead to kidney failure or even death.
If you are unsure if you have consumed contaminated salmon, it is best to consult a doctor. Symptoms of salmon poisoning can develop quickly and may not appear for hours or even days after exposure. If you experience any of the following symptoms, please consult a doctor immediately: abdominal pain, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or bloody stools.
How do you get salmon poisoning?
Smoked salmon is a popular food item in many parts of the world, but it can also be risky to eat. In Australia, two people have died after eating smoked salmon fillets and contracting bacteria. Salmon poisoning is a condition caused by eating raw or undercooked salmon, and it can be serious. Symptoms of salmon poisoning include fever, headache, muscle aches, nausea, and vomiting. If left untreated, salmon poisoning can lead to kidney failure or even death.
What to do if you get salmon poisoning?
If you get salmon poisoning, the best thing to do is to go to the hospital. If you can’t go to the hospital, try to drink lots of fluids and drink chamomile tea if you are pregnant.
What can you do to prevent salmon poisoning?
Salmon poisoning is a bacterial infection that can be fatal. The most common way to contract salmon poisoning is to eat raw or undercooked salmon. However, it can also be contracted through contact with the skin or eyes of someone who has been exposed to the bacteria. Salmon poisoning can be treated with antibiotics, but in some cases it can be fatal. If you are worried about getting salmon poisoning, it is important to take precautions and avoid eating raw or undercooked salmon.
If you are in Australia and have recently eaten smoked salmon, be sure to seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms of food poisoning, such as vomiting or diarrhoea. Two people have died after eating smoked salmon fillets in the past week and another two are reported to be gravely ill. If you have eaten smoked salmon recently and feel unwell, please do not hesitate to contact your doctor or emergency services.